Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A felting we will go!

I've finally done it! Felting that is. Years ago, I bought some felting needles and just never got into the needle felting thing. This week end while waiting on trick or treaters, I came across the felting needles and foam block. I thought what better time to have a go at the needle felting than when I am waiting for the little ghouls and goblins to come knocking at my door:)

The sheep above was my third attempt at needle felting. It has a wire base and the body was formed using left over wool from the flick carder. On top of the base is several layers of Lincoln fleece which was then covered in Lincoln locks. I used a touch of Corriedale dyed black to complete my little sheep's legs and head.


The second felt project used the same left over wool base covered in hand dyed merino and glitz. The tree trunks have wire bases and the tops are covered in a lightly spun single of merino, silk and firestar.

The Frog. This little fellow is my first attempt at needle felting. I have to say that I am as pleased as peach pie with how he turned out. Again, I used the left over base to start on the first lily pad the frog is sitting on and then moved on to the little pink flower. Well, if you know me, you know that wasn't quite enough, so I started another lily pad and thought... Wouldn't it be nice if it all sat on a mini pond. The water is made of two different shades of blue merino and glitz.

After finishing the base , yet again I decided that the little scene just was a tad on the bland side, so I figured I would try my hand at a little frog. The frog was formed using a Targhee fleece that had dyed and then realized it had a break in it. I just never had the heart to throw out the fleece because the color was beautiful so I have slowly been using it to make felt balls. It felts fabulously, so I thought I would give it a go under the needle. After finishing the little fellow and placing him on his lily pad, the eyes were added using a white merino cashmere mix.

I'm really very shocked at how well I did on my first felting attempt here. Have packed away my little needles and foam block, because I can see that if I leave them out I could be very tempted to pick up another little hobby. But perhaps, I can just reserve these little projects for a little pick me up on rainy days:)

1 comment:

Delighted Hands said...

Just amazing for your first attempts! I especially like the sheep!

Other Fun Facts..................

I taught myself to knit by watching a woman while on a flight from Scotland to the USA in 1996.

I taught myself how to spin yarn Feb 15th, 2007. I think I've done fairly well:)

'Lunabud' is a combination of two dogs' names I was loved by, Buddy and Luna:)