Sunday, November 29, 2009

Art Walk in Elizabethtown, KY



There are a few hand painted yarns and felted ornaments being offered by Lunabudknits at the Artwalk in downtown Elizabethtown this year. I learned about it through my friend Luna of Blueball Mountain Spindle and Needleworks who was gracious enough to let me add a few of my items to her display through the month of December:)

Hit the road at about 11 am and arrived at Luna's farm at around 1 pm. After being greeted by Bella, the very happy house pup, Luna took me out to greet the sheep, chickens and the most precious little calico kitty who thinks she is a guard dog. At this point, I realized I forgot my trusty camera so you must believe me when I say that the farm and house is absolutely wonderful!

There is a lovely little herb garden with tansies, wormwood and many other good smelling herbs off the back of the house. The wash room in the big barn is something to be jealous of indeed! With tubs for washing, pickers for picking, areas for dying, and lovely shetland fleeces bundled and ready to be washed, dyed, and picked. The big barn also houses the Shetland rams and chickens. Off to the side in a field with a little quan-hut are the beautiful ewes who were very healthy and enjoying the rays of the sun as we stopped by to admire their freshly shorn sides. And between the house and the big barn is the most pleasantly perfect little building Luna and her husband are in the process of restoring so that I can be a little wool house or craft room for Luna. The little building really has potential to be something so very special and I can barely wait to see what special use Luna has for it!

OH, I almost forgot to mention! Luna has two, not one, but two! bee hives on the hill behind the garden. Ah, the joy of fresh honey!

We went back in and waiting on the table for us was some of the best chicken salad you have ever had, compliments of Luna's hubby, Allen. After a quick bite to eat, it was on to the crafty room. Boy, oh BOY! does Luna ever have a wonderful crafty room. Full of bright and beautiful yarns, lovely trimmings and add in's as well as her extra wide drum carder. But the true center piece was the new Fancy Kitty electric drum carder! Ah, the joys of a carder you don't have to crank..... Someday, someday.......

We headed to the little shop where the fibery stuff is for the ARtwalk to do a few last minute arranging and setting up. From there, I bought a couple of bumps of roving from Luna and sat down at her traveler wheel. The first bump was spun into a single and the second was a spun single with brightly colored locks spun in. I then plied the two singles together to get a beautiful pale blue glitzy art yarn with stray locks sticking out here and there. You can see the yarn in the next 3 pictures....




The next yarn is from a batt I purchased from Luna at the Kentucky Wool Festival in Falmouth KY back in October. It is Merino carded with silk and loaded with firestar and glitz. Not too sure what I will do with it, but for now, I really enjoy just loving on it:)

No comments:

Other Fun Facts..................

I taught myself to knit by watching a woman while on a flight from Scotland to the USA in 1996.

I taught myself how to spin yarn Feb 15th, 2007. I think I've done fairly well:)

'Lunabud' is a combination of two dogs' names I was loved by, Buddy and Luna:)