Today I finished up my third go round with natural dyes using lichens I gathered from around my horse's paddock. And here is how I did it......
|Picture of the dry lichens I am using. These were all collected from fallen branches.|
|Crammed my little nylon bag full to the brim with lichens.|
|Yarn moved from mordant to dye pot. Lichens are under the yarn in the mesh bag which was periodically moved around.|
|Another shot of the same. Don't you just love the rich earthy browns! I have to admit, I am supper impressed with how well the dye did on the Superwash Merino & Bamboo yarns. Maybe next time, I will try an all bamboo yarn to see how it fairs.|
|I think I was suppose to keep the dye pot going until the lichens disappeared, but after 24 hours, I was happy to only have a couple of small handfuls of lichen left. Saving these for another little dye experiment for a later date:)|
|All dye experiments to date. From the bottom.... Lichen, Carrot Tops, & Black Bean. Out of all the 3 the black beans were the only ones I found disappointing. They have since started to fade which is faintly visible in the photos.|
I hope everyone has a happy and safe week end!