Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mom's Yarn


A little story behind the yarn here. See, Mom & I were at the Southern Indiana Fiber Arts Festival. She being Mom saw the cutest little felt bag. So, I sent her back out from the booth to find some fiber to be spun for her to knit into the cute little bag with trinkets tacked on. Well, she came back all excited talking about another seller who had the perfect shade of pink she wanted for her bag. I went back and haggled, well, not really. The woman hated the pink color and I asked her how much for all. We lucked into over 1 pound of pink romney for $10…lol I still keep thinking we made out like bandits on the fiber! And I’ll bet she is thinking we are the biggest suckers…lol

Anyhow, I carded up about 8 ounces of it with a bit of yellow merino, silk, red firestar and blue wool nepps. The pictures are a pictoral of how the yarn started and how it ends.

Original ball of pink with spun yarn

I don't often spin from batts in batt like form! As I am taking them off the drum carder, I use two knitting needles to roll them off the carder into drum carded Puni's similar to cotton Puni's. From here, I can either draft the puni, spin from the puni or un-roll the puni to spin from depending on my present mood:)

No comments:

Other Fun Facts..................

I taught myself to knit by watching a woman while on a flight from Scotland to the USA in 1996.

I taught myself how to spin yarn Feb 15th, 2007. I think I've done fairly well:)

'Lunabud' is a combination of two dogs' names I was loved by, Buddy and Luna:)