Sunday, February 04, 2007

Spinning yarn & Kool Aide!!


Well, Monday started out as a long, long day. It was becoming longer by the minute. I was so frustrated as I was going home that evening, that I was about to cry. But there it was! A huge box on my porch! I knew what it was and I ripped the packing open not even caring where the shreds of news paper and cardboard landed. It was my new but used spinning wheel! Ever since that moment, I have been using up those idle seconds of my day spinning away. This is my first skein of corriedale sheep yarn spun on my wheel!





And this yarn is the first yarn that I dyed! And lets not leave out that I also spun it! Dang I am so proud of my self! It was remarkably easy to do too boot! You wash your hank of yarn and let it rest in the rinse water. While the yarn is resting, fill a container/jar with water leaving room to add your yarn. Pour in a cap full of vinegar and add your packet of kool-aide (with out the sugar). Gently add yarn.







Place jar (with yarn in it) in the microwave and heat on high for about 1-2 minutes. MAKE SURE TO WATCH THE YARN IN THE MICROWAVE. Do not let the water boil as this causes the yarn to felt. I watch the yarn until I see a single bubble rise. I then immediately stop the microwave and remove the jar. Leave the jar and yarn along until the water is clear and it has reached room temperature. Then water can be washed & rinsed, spun in the washer and hung out to dry! The fun thing about kool-aide is that you can do this one with kids. It is safe and non-toxic. Not to leave out that my yarns smell like cherries and oranges!!!

No comments:

Other Fun Facts..................

I taught myself to knit by watching a woman while on a flight from Scotland to the USA in 1996.

I taught myself how to spin yarn Feb 15th, 2007. I think I've done fairly well:)

'Lunabud' is a combination of two dogs' names I was loved by, Buddy and Luna:)