Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Horsing Around

Went out not too long ago to visit Miss Applebutter the Appaloosa and her friends. For those of you who don't know what an appaloosa is, Applebutter is the black, grey & white spotted horse. I thank my lucky stars that it is free to keep her where she is. In return for the free board, I have all the other horses in the field trimmed when ever Applebutter gets her manucure;)

Applebutter and I go way back. I guess it was the summer of 1995 when I was working at the racetrack and doing some side horsey work that I found Applebutter in the paper. Actually, I was calling about her mother, who was a tad bit out of my price range. They offered up a yearling filly with no papers and a mysterious back ground instead. I went out to see her and fell in love. The family I bought her from had named her Applebutter because when she was born, she was the color of applebutter. It is a name that suits her even though she has definitely changed her spots! She and I spent the summer getting to know one another and she became the first horse I started and trained.

After a year with Applebutter, I decided it was more important to have an appartment as opposed to a horse, so I sold her. You know, that was always one of those decisions I regretted from my wild younger years, so in 2004 I bought her back.

She isn't the same horse I sold, but we enjoy each others company and understand one another. Needless to say, she will be with me for the rest of her life which I hope is a very long one as horses go:)


Applebutter and friends.


Chris the Farrier after trimming Applebutter and her boys:)

1 comment:

Delighted Hands said...

Some horses just get under your skin and in your heart like that....we had a delightful ol'guy of an Arabian who lived to 38. We still miss him. Glad you are able to enjoy her and that she has a safe , companionable place to stay!

Other Fun Facts..................

I taught myself to knit by watching a woman while on a flight from Scotland to the USA in 1996.

I taught myself how to spin yarn Feb 15th, 2007. I think I've done fairly well:)

'Lunabud' is a combination of two dogs' names I was loved by, Buddy and Luna:)