Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Contest!



OK, I am having my own little contest starting now and closing on May 7th.
I was sent some very stunning Spun Recycled Sari Silk and I don't know what to knit it into. The yardage is 150 meters (160yards) and about 6 wpi making this a bulky yarn. This is where you come in! I am asking you the reader (like I have that many readers..lol) to send me a pattern for the yarn. I will pick my favorite pattern out of all submissions and the person who sent me the winning pattern will receive a hank of homespun yarn (spun by me) and a set of 5 handmade copper stitch markers.

The rules are:


1. The pattern must be a FREE pattern with a picture located on the internet.


2. Links to patterns must be posted to the comment section of this post no later than May 7th. Make sure no one else has posted a link to that particular pattern in the comment section before you post your pick. If you are the second person to post that pattern link, your entry will be voided.


3. The pattern must not exceed using 160 yards(150 meters) of the Sari-Silk. This of course does not exempt using the Sari-Silk as an accent yarn or another accent yarn:)



I guess that is about it. I think with only 3 rules everything should be pretty self explanatory:) Plus, it should be pretty quick and simply for anyone who is interested to make a quick submission.


OH, BTW Kat who sent me this fabulously pretty yarn already picked out Unbiased at Knitty.com:)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I did Unbiased from Knitty too, and love it! My mom used Noro to make the same pattern because she liked mine so much! Good luck finding a pattern!

ikkinlala said...

I like this scarf:
http://maiaspins.typepad.com/Patterns/Scarf_Around_Pattern.pdf

The yarn is really pretty - I hope you find something nice to make from it.

Devonshire said...

I have never used the Sari Silk Yarn, but I love the good cause behind it and found this scarf pattern. Best of luck finding a project. It will be fun to see the outcome.

Pattern:
http://wendyknits.net/knit/lanternscarf.htm
Old KAL for helpful info:
http://crazyfiberlady.typepad.com/sarialong/

Heide said...

http://www.mangomoonyarns.com/ribbedscarf.html
Two years ago I made a cardigan out of Sari silk based on a Noro pattern. I looked lovely until it was blocked! It stretched, warped and in some places where the yarn was thin it broke and unravelled. My recommendations when using this yarn are 1. USE IT WITH ANOTHER YARN knitting two strands together. 2. Use extreme caution in getting it wet. Good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

http://www.recycledsilk.com/bags.html

I think the little amulet bags are adorable - though I do tend to be partial to bags ;)

Dotty said...

I think the silk would look stunning as Argosy (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTargosy.html)

I'll be making mine with some hemp yarn (leftovers from the indigo ripples skirt).

LunabudKnits said...

Dang! I am having so much fun looking all these patterns up! This is going to be so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Well, that is not fair. I got scooped with my own pattern (Scarf Around).

How about this book cover: http://www.spunmag.com/article/050605bookcover

or this bag: http://www.recycledsilk.com/triangular.pdf
The yardage is close but it is awfully cute.

LunabudKnits said...

LOL...You know, I thought of adding that in to the 'rules', but nixed it at the last minute! Will keep that in mind next time:)

Anonymous said...

No pattern, but I think placemats or coasters would be lovely in it. I'm sure I saw some somewhere but can't for the life of me think where. Perfect for the summer (imagine the bright jewel colours out in the sun with a nice long cool drink on them).
Just work in garter stitch, or a basketweave.

Other Fun Facts..................

I taught myself to knit by watching a woman while on a flight from Scotland to the USA in 1996.

I taught myself how to spin yarn Feb 15th, 2007. I think I've done fairly well:)

'Lunabud' is a combination of two dogs' names I was loved by, Buddy and Luna:)